Hey everyone! My name is Chris and I’ve been living off of self-publishing for the last year and a half. A year ago I started my own small press at about the same time I began living the digital nomad lifestyle with my girlfriend, all because of the money I made through writing.
Today, I’m here to tell you about a new platform I’ve created that will help authors of all skill levels get their books in front of the readers who are the most likely to read it. As an author, you’ve all been told to get a mailing list if you want to be successful. It’s solid, age old advice. Readers who like your work can subscribe and hear about all of your future books. As time goes on, your number of followers will increase and so will your sales on release day.
However, times are changing. We’re no longer in the era where email is king. These days, our readers are mobile. They’re reading on smartphones, tablets, and dedicated e-readers. According to a bookbub statistic, “They primarily read on tablets” and “around 60 percent said they prefer tablets.”
That’s why I created Book Sprout. The idea is to give authors the ability to reach their readers right where they read. It’s more than just that though. It’s platform where authors can inform their fans of a new book and not have to worry about their message ending up in the user’s spam folder. A place where we don’t have to worry about Facebook’s plans to stifle our reach or force us to cough up unknown amounts of money instead. Even more, Book Sprout will eventually work for you to get your books discovered (more on that at the bottom of this post).
More than that, readers have been asking for this for years. If you’re an avid reader as well as an author, this is a struggle you probably know all too well. In order to stay up to date with your favorite authors you’re probably subscribed to a dozen email lists, following a few dozen more authors on Facebook/Twitter, and even manually checking some author websites to see if they’ve released a new book since your last visit. It’s hard for readers to stay up to date on more than a handful of authors. Book Sprout’s goal is to make it easy. By making that easy, we increase sales for everyone.
The bottom line is this: I have yet to talk to a reader who doesn’t love the idea. That’s critical because we all know what happens when you’re part of making their life easier (hint: they reward you by buying your books)!
But in order for this all to work, we need authors to be involved when we launch. That’s why we’re offering a once in a lifetime promotion right now. We’re giving you the opportunity to become a Book Sprout Founding Author and never have to pay a cent to reach your followers. That’s guaranteed forever.
Hold on, that sounds too good to be true, right? What kind of hoops do you have to jump through to become a founding author? It’s actually really painless. All it takes to become a founding author is to get a mere 10 followers on Book Sprout before the end of January. If you’re able to do that, we guarantee that you’ll never have to pay to reach your followers.
If you’re a big name author, there’s also higher Founder levels for those that manage to get 100 and 1000 followers before the end of January that offer other great incentives such as early access to future features and permanent priority support.
That all sounds great right? Yeah, of course it does! But I can still hear some of you in the back saying that you already have a mailing list. So why would you want to use Book Sprout?
- Nearly all of the successful authors I’ve had the luxury of conversing with over the last two years of my writing career are OBSESSED with data. Having good data allows them to make good decisions on the direction they should be heading. They want to know things like where their readers are buying their books so they can make informed decisions. Have you ever asked yourself if you should enroll in KU or not? I bet a graph breaking down exactly how many clicks your readers did to each store would have helped you make that decision. Book Sprout provides that and a variety of other metrics in an easily digestible way so you’re always one step ahead of the game. Check out the different types of data we’re currently offering.
- Setup is a breeze. All you need to do is create a publisher account with us, add a pen name, and share your public author page(s). Readers can then follow you in our app and/or subscribe to your existing mailing list (more on that in the next point).
- Book Sprout integrates incredibly well with Mailchimp. Readers who have the Book Sprout app can easily follow you there and those that don’t can sign up to your old-school-cool mailing list. Your biggest fans can sign up to both so you can still run ARCs and all other kinds of goodies!
- Sending a promotion on a book to your followers is easy. Simply fill in a form and we take care of the rest. No need to deal with complicated email templates and subject lines.
- Book Sprout is cheaper and our pricing isn’t confusing. But founding authors, such as yourself hopefully, won’t have to worry about that!
- We have fancy marketing techniques. Email wasn’t designed to handle things like countdown timers, but they’re great at putting pressure on readers to buy before the time runs out. We do that. Email doesn’t.
- Mailing lists need to be managed well. If you don’t send enough emails people start forgetting about you. If you send too many, they start unsubscribing (or worse, report you as spam).
- There’s no spam folder to worry about in Book Sprout. If a reader is following you, they’re going to see your book.
- Setting up a newsletter requires a mailing address to conform with anti-spam regulations. Book Sprout allows you to be completely anonymous. No mailing address required!
- Readers can follow you on Book Sprout anonymously. It’s hard to gain enough trust with people to get them to hand over their email address. Just think about how many times you’ve been presented with an email signup form and not filled it out just because you’re afraid of what they’re going to do with it. Wouldn’t it be better for everyone if they didn’t have to worry? You’d gain more fans and they’d have peace of mind!
Here’s the real kicker though, and the real reason you’re going to want to sign up and start collecting followers as soon as possible. The next major feature we’ll be rolling out in Book Sprout is book discovery. That means we’ll be showing your books to people who want to read them!
To make things simple, imagine there’s another author out there who has a similar set of followers as you. Wouldn’t it make sense that the uncommon followers between the two of you might also be interested in the books of the other author? How much would you pay to have your book discovered by those readers in a way that wouldn’t harm the other author?
$50? $100? Nah, that’s too much. Just sign up to Book Sprout and we’ll take care of it for you as part of the deal!
That’s why you want to sign up today and start gaining followers as soon as possible. When this feature drops, you’re going to want to be paired up with as many other authors as possible. But in order for us to make those pairings, you need followers. The more followers you have, the more pairings that will be possible.
Book Sprout is set to launch in January 2016, so be ready! If you want early access, head over to our website and sign up. We’ll be sending an early access code to everyone who signs up!